1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wire Wheel pics please

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DevinCamPA, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Hey guys...could i see some of your wire wheel setups? thanks

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

This is by girl ;D

3. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Same here, exept my girl..lol

4. dryrun

dryrun New Member

I don't have picture technology skills/equipment but let describe as it very simple and inexpensive - cut the bottom 1/3 off of a 55 gal. plastic barrel, screw this on its side(sitting in a chair your looking into the bottom on the barrel) onto a piece of plywood so it's stable and doesn't try to roll around. I cut my plywood a little bigger than needed so I could mount the switch and store the extra wheels. I got the motor 1/6 hp?? 1/4" shaft from Grainger. Drill holes in the barrel bottom to accomodate the 4 mounting holes in the motor and it's shaft. A 1/4" female coupler will interface the motor shaft to the wire wheel shaft. The plastic barrel makes for easy cleaning. Good luck.

5. Question guys...doing my first turkey ever. Got him skinned out and man do i owe you guys more respect. What a painnnn! What can i use instead of a wire wheel to get all the fat off. I dont plan on doing anymore birds anytime soon. I have grinders that i can put a wire wheel on?? just use scissors or what?? I'm almost considering not doing this turkey :( Havent even started fleshing yet...

6. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

I wheel mine but some guys swear by using a pressure washer with the skin inverted on a road cone. Search the bird forums and you can find it

7. joey font

joey font Member

PA
    I made my wire wheel flesher with a disposable booth. The wheel is mounted on the end of arm which projects out about 18" so I can get a table under it. When I'm ready to flesh something, I just place a small table under the wheel and use plastic wrapping or cardboard all the way around the wheel. (See photo) When done, I take it down and burn. No other mess to clean up. Also, lots of space to work in.
    [​IMG]

8. featherworks

featherworks New Member

I built mine using a motor off of a flesher I got second hand. I got a large clear storage tote from wal mart and layed it on it's side. I then made a frame out of 2x4's so I could put the shaft of the motor where I needed it to go. I rewired the motor so it can be turned on with an on/off dimmer switch. This switch lets me control the speed of the wheel according to the type of bird I will be working on. Since the tote has no seems, it is very easy to clean out. I also keep the lid for it behind it so if a client comes by and has his better half with him I can simply snap on the lid to hide the mess inside.

I hope this helps,
    Phil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I have been receiving more turkeys lately. I spend too much time using the fleshing wheel on turkeys. So, I finally tried "pressure washing" method. I fleshed, wash and dry 4 turkeys in half a day. It was fast and easy. The first one I did, it had holes that's because I didn't know how to use the control. The second one is only 2 small holes, big difference. The more I use it the better it was. Thanks for who ever invented this method. I don't have sore arms either.

10. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Tereza -
    Good job! I have wanted to try the pressure washing trick for some time. I am just too set in my ways to change very easily. I hate turkeys. Maybe that would change my attitude toward them.

11. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

featherworks I love what you did I think I'm gonna do the same Thanks

12. Hey Pat you sound like me. I am too set in my own ways but I finally tried it and I liked it so much. It works better than the fleshing wheel.

13. Barry

Barry Active Member

Hey Featherworks where did you get the wire wheel you are using it looks a little softer than the one I got from Matuska

14. Hey Tereza, please enlighten me about the pressure washer. I purchased a 4k unit after seeing one in action at the Georgia State Taxi meeting 2 years ago and have used it for deer with a lot of success, especially on antler/skull plates. (Although I have since gone back to a beam and scissors.) I tried it on my first turkey a while back and with the pressure turned WAY DOWN with a rotary head; it blew that bird all apart in nothing flat on a traffic cone. I switched to a 25 degree head with even less pressure (@1200 psi) and experienced a little better results, but it still wanted to rip it apart. A turkey's skin is thin but tough and I gave up and wheeled the next 2 birds with a whole lot less sewing!
    Please tell me the pressure washing secret formula! :)

15. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

pressure washing is going to be a tough one to pass on me. but then again i have never tried it. the wheel works good for me.

16. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

+1, thats a great idea.

17. hobbes

hobbes Member

I like Featherwork's set up, but I would want more room for turkeys. However, the last turkeys I mounted were done using the pressure washer and I can not imagine doing them any other way.

18. featherworks

featherworks New Member

Hey Barry,
    I think the wire wheel is wide one that van dykes sells. It is fairly soft.

Phil

19. I have a 1350 PSI, 1.3 GPM. I am able to control the stream from flat to straight. When I start fleshing i turn the nozzle to almost flat stream. If I want to be more agressive then I turn the nozzle just a little touch to be almost on the straight stream. The staight stream has more pressure. I don't use it at all because then I will tear the skin. Do it slowly and watch what you are doing. I start from 3 feet and going in 45 degree angle. If you go too close to the skin it will tear it. This is my method and it works well with me.