1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Alligator skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Hunter Williams, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Fixing to do my first alligator skull. just curious to what is the best way to clean it. Should I boil it?

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Here are some ideas...

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,5482.0.html

3. ace man

ace man New Member

the best way to clean it is with beetles

4. see mate beetles are good and clean but if u want to do it cheap and easier go for mascration ( rotting the meat off). mate it is alot lower matnence and i think does a better job and saves alot of time in degreasing and it don't s,mell that bad.

5. Hey Hunter
    I've never done an alligator skull-- but I have done plenty of other skulls and boiling IS NOT a good procedure for cleaning-- beetles if you have them-- and to lower cost and maintenance-- maceration-- if you need some coaching for maceration-- do a search on "maceration Wolf Woman" she is from Alaska and has a great thread on the entire process
    ORG

6. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

when you get another alligator skull, i might have to buy one off you! LOL i have always wanted to clean one myself! Id throw it into the beetles if i were you

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

An alligator skull is totally different from all others I have done. I would simmer, remove teeth, then pressure wash. Then peroxide and insert teeth.