1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deformed bear skull, need your opinion!!!!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Northern Skulls, Jul 27, 2008.

1. This is a bear head that i had given to me from a local taxidermist that was shot a few years ago, it was skun out and thats all, it looked a little strange to me at first, then i had my beetles clean it, and WOW, what happened to this poor guy??? It is an older bear i believe, just hard to tell for sure, the picture of the whole head shows how tight the jaw goes closed, and the teeth that are in it, are all that were there, the one canine that was there is very small. Let me know what opinions you all have on this weird specimen i have!!

2. More pics.

3. More pics.

4. Good God! Looks like some horrible bone disease.

5. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    It almost looks like sea coral. They are using coral to fight Osteoporosis now. Just a random guess but I wonder if he somehow had a calcium deficiency. Normally I think it is the marrow of the bone that looks that away with osteoporosis. If that is the case something has eaten away the periosteum.

6. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

wierd!

7. I have seen that in a lesser degree in badgers. I think it is from an infection such as would result from an abscessed tooth.

8. wow poor guy it musta hurt!

9. Yeah, maybe a gunshot wound that got infected.

10. maybe a shotgun blast to the jaw?

11. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

The lower jaw looks as tho it was broken and healed at some point in time, it then got infected and the resulting bone/calcium growth resulted. I've had a few old wolves with that type of growth (to a much lesser extent) on them. I'd be cleaning up and keeping that skull if possible :) Where is Wacbravo when ya need him! lol

12. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Wow that is a weird specimen. I know when an animal gets to a certain age the bone starts to become more sponge like, but this is extreme. Had to have a bone disease.

13. Ya, i was kinda leanin twards a calcium prob, but the gunshot sounds possible too. The skull is actually bigger than it looks, each side on the lower jaw are about 2 inches across, the head is 12 to 13 in long. Thanks for sharing your opinions so far, keep em coming!!

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would side with Wolfwoman. Either a serious infection or the beginnings of cancer. It must have been in some serious pain. Fortunately someone put an end to it's suffering and didn't even know it. I would definitely be keeping that one.

15. I am keepin it, the taxi didn't want it anyway, just was gonna put it up for display, but when i showed him, he was gonna toss it, so i kept it!!

16. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Elephant man disease, in a bear.
    That would bring a Lot of interest to biologists.

17. lorefuma

lorefuma Member

for me is effect of actinomycosis (or actinogranulomatosis).
    I've see it in a roe deer and in a cow.

18. Any scientists out there with any ideas?

19. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I was thinking the very same thing.

20. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

dork bear?