1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do you polish ram horns?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by mahatma, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    I have run across another subject and searched the site to find the answer. My brother has a ram head with the curved horns he bought from a hunter years ago. I told him I didn't know much about ram horns but I would look. I have searched and found you can remove the horns by bagging or soaking. I don't see anything about polishing the horn. Is completely natural the way? What if the horn is very dry? Just let it be dry??

2. i spray regular clear krylon on the horns and then a coat of krylon matte. it brings the color out.

3. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    Here is a picture of the head. I would think anything to make the horns look more hydrated would help. Thanks.

[​IMG]

4. I use old english lemon oil on all mine, found it works better for me than just a clear coat.

5. As George posted in the old forum to my question on a set of Ibex horns... 50 / 50 linseed oil and turpentine mix....

6. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

I have some horn conditioner ( form VD or MK or maybe research) wipe on wipe off, buff and use sparingly. Just used ot on a set of rams horns and Eland..does not discol;or.. just nice luster. Use old electiric tooth brush to get in tall the nooks and cracks and to remove the excess.

7. i personaly use a acrylic clear coat satin abnd it turns out great on goats and rams and mostlikly deer when i can kill them.

8. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Matte Krylon for someof my buffalo horns.