1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ordered a Dakota Pro today .. WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Amy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

After five years with my little Dakota IV, I finally did it.

A Dakota Pro is on it's way to my shop!

That small flesher was fine when I was doing 10-15 deer heads a year .. it wasn't a BAD flesher .. but it just took me a while to get a cape done on it.

I got nearly 50 deer in last year and hope to get more this year and was starting to dread the though of capes lining up to be fleshed.

So as much as it hurts to let go of the $$$, I ordered the Pro.

I've never used a full sized flesher so I'm a little nervous. I managed to cut the tip of my thumb off with the small flesher .. I'm likely the cut my whole hand off with this :eek: Just kidding ::)

Wish me luck!

2. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Congrats Amy. I've had mine for about a year now. Your going to love it.
    Well worth the money in my opinion. Good Luck, Scott

3. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Thats Great Amy, I have a 4 and 5 in my shop and I sure the pro is all over them two I just can't make myself get off that money to buy the pro. Good luck with it.

4. congrats amy, enjoy that new bad boy

5. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

congrats Amy. you will love the pro. i have had mine for 2 years now but did get the chance to use the Dakota 4 for some detail work. when you look at the time you save you wont be so worried about the cost of the pro. and the micro adjustments will really prove to be an asset. again congrats.

6. My first was a IV, I have a pro now also. Thing is great! I still use the IV for the face and tight places.

7. I have one and love it. But 4 months after I got it, it started making a loud chattering noise. Sent it back to them and the bearings went bad. They fixed it and it didn't cost me anything. Hopefully it won't happen again. So if you start to hear a chattering noise you know what it is.

8. trapper jeff

trapper jeff New Member

You will love the Dakota Pro! I really like the micro adjustments. Last night i shaved a deer cape and when i was done i made two quick adjustments and fleshed/shaved a tiny raccoon. Really great machine ! I made a beginner mistake and ruined the new blade fairly quickly. I bought a harder blade and had the original blade resharpened. It took some getting used to but i like the harder blade and I now leave the edge alone!! Great investment!!

9. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I may end up having to get a harder blade too ... I had the same blade on my dakota IV for four years ! No problems. Finally the thing wore down to the point I figured I had better put a new one on. So I did, and after the first day, I went to sharpen it and things went downhill from there. I could practically lay my finger on the spinning blade and not get cut. I complained to VanDykes and they sent me another blade, but the same thing shortly happened to that one. I can't believe it would be me sharpening incorrectly, as I had no problem tuning and sharpening my old blade for four years. I think the new ones must have been soft blades.

Is the hard blade difficult to tune with the steels? I know it's supposed to keep its edge longer, but it's gotta get dull at some point, so when it does, do you sharpen it in the same way as always?

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

good question Amy. i have wondered the same thing. i am thinking of getting a harder blade for mine. my first one was ruined by bb's in a bear cape. the second one is still good tho.

11. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

After my hassle with my flesher blade, I am very apprehensive about this new blade. There is nothing more frustrating than having to force a cape across the flesher, to the point of making your arms sore, just to get the meat off .. when you know how easy it would be if the blade were as sharp as its supposed to be. That's what happened last year in the thick of deer season. I had a new blade on order but the deer were coming in and I had to suffer through fleshing them on the dull blade until it got here. The only thing worse than that, would be having to do it all over again on a brand new $1300 machine.

12. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Amy have you ever had a blade sharpen by stone at a tannery I'm just wondering if maybe a little diffrent edge or angle on the blade may help with the life and sharpness of the blade this may not help but I have lonestar sharpen my blades and they seem to hold up really good but I don't think you should have to do this to a new blade.

13. Aubrey, sounds to me like you need to do a little more training on the grinder with that apprentice.

14. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

That really makes complete sense to me, oldshaver .. I think I turned the lip too far using my steels. They're really small steels that came with the IV, but I may have applied too much pressure. I can get a "usable" edge by taking a flat stone and putting it under the lip for a second or two (the steels do virtually nothing for it now). But the sharpness is very short-lived, so I think at this point, I wont' be able to bring the original sharpness of the edge back. I'm just getting by until my Pro arrives. I'm going to be VERY VERY delicate with that blade and hope for the best.

15. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

D

16. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

OS If your edge was bent or rolled at 90 and you lifted it 3 degrees, Wouldn't that be 87 degrees instead of 90? Not trying to be my normal SmartAss self. It just looks like if you were setting with a flat blade (Not formed at all) and formed it over to 90 you would have to go past a square corner to get to 93 degrees. ???

17. paul e

paul e New Member

Amy ive always had better luck with a tungsten rod to sharpen
    you can get them in a pack at any welding supply store
    i never cared for the little ones they send with the shaver
    and
    i love my pro
    i suspect you will also
    i made a nice stainless table with adjustable legs to get just the right feel
    with the table and rubber isolaters here and there it is almost silent
    i added a idiot light to tell me when its one
    good shaving

18. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I got the flesher yesterday (that was fast!). We got it assembled, and it looks like it's going to be great. We just have to make a table now. Paul, would you happen to have a photo of your table? I'd love to see it if you do. I'm trying to get ideas. We were planning on building one out of 2x4's and plywood, and covering the top with vinyl flooring.

19. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I think your angle is right OS your opening it up away from the table , right.. if your were bringing the lip down toward the table it would be at less then 90 degrees...and make it hard to shave...I have one blade that is sharp as crap...but the angle is off..I just lowered my guard and pull at a different angle...LOL May be why I slice one here or there, but it gets the job done.

20. paul e

paul e New Member

im away from home at the moment
    but ill give you a rough size
    i made it out of .125 t316l s.s.
    24" wide x 48" long
    i put a notch right in front of the wheel 2" x 4" long
    have a attachment to accept a trash bag
    so i can just hand swipe the buildup and push it in the hole
    also i dont get as muchbump into the wheel
    legs are adjustable with rubber isolaters on bottom
    and maybe old shaver can tell you the rough height ratio you should shoot for
    i just played around with mine till my back didnt hurt
    i stand behind it and lean to the left
    to many variables to take in acount to give you a height

ill try to get a pick when i get home and send it to you