1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

catfish mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jesse Carr, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

how difficult is it to do a skin mount of a catfish

2. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I can't see it being any different then a trout, but I have never tried either. You'd have to cast the head and fins IMO. Then their bodies have lots of stuff going on and show detail like crazy. Replicas sure make life simple, but I know some that have skinned mounted one before and pulled it off nicely......Notice I said ONE, they said they would never do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

It can be done, We have skin mounted flatheads and blues up to 45"...but it is not the best way. Custom molding is the prefered choice on cats.

If you want to skin mount it, you will have to carve a body, and no matter how hard you try, it is impossible to get all the muscle detailing and rib detail. You will have to cast the head, and depending on size some/all of the fins--and then theres the oily skin to deal with. Skinning and fleshing big flatheads is a real pain. Good luck.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

From a laymans view, it's damned near impossible. There's no scales to "hide" anything. The skin will show ever granule of foam you miss and every detail you forgot to carve in. With the products available today and the repro suppliers, it's just easier to make one or buy one than trying to skin mount it, and since the head will have to be cast anyway, it's just easier to do it that way.

5. I would price that soooooo high over a replica they would probably want a replica or go somewhere else.

6. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    ditto on the replica!!!!

7. I have done one a long time ago that my wife caught, it was a pain to do and I will never do it again, unless the price is so high that I could not turn it down.

8. fishmedic

fishmedic R.I.P. Alli !

I've done both but I'm always happier with the replicas because of the awesome detail!

9. Craig W

Craig W New Member

Ive done a few skin mount cats but they are a pain.I would much whether do a repro.

10. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

thanks for the responses i think im goin to go with a replica