1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cracked K-9s

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by redwolf, Aug 2, 2008.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I bought a few skulls and the K-9s top and bottom were cracked in half.
    What would cause that?

2. I'm just a beginner but I've read that rapid fluctuations in temperature can cause the canine teeth to split.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you buy one that DOESN'T have cracked canines, just hold on for awhile. ALL teeth will crack. That's exactly why we no longer use the real jaws in animal mounts. Teeth are hollow inside and the outside enamel allows pressure buildup inside which ultimatel cracks a tooth All you can hope for is to delay the inevitable.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I thought it may have happened because it was boiled and not cleaned with beetles. This was a skull that I sent out for cleaning, it wasn't one that had been sitting around for a long time.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Boiling may have done that. Cooling things off too fast can crack the teeth. They later will break on you. I have skulls that I cleaned 20 years ago that were boiled. No cracking yet ... but .. I let the skulls sit in the water until it was cold before I took them out.

6. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    I dont know if this helps of not but the breakdown of dentin in human teeth can leads to cracks. One of the major things that destroys dentin in a tooth is dehydration. How I found this was I have the same problem just not K9. Both of our skulls teeth contain dentin

Here is a quote for you.