1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

French Bulldog skeleton (More pics added)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by wbd, Aug 4, 2008.

1. wbd

wbd Member

UK
    Hi All,

Here is a pic of a French Bulldog skeleton I just finished.

Walter

2. Diamond S

Diamond S New Member

Re: French Bulldog skeleton

Looks good ! I'll bet it was greasy !!!

3. AndyB

AndyB New Member

That's impressive, I really want to try something that has some size to it like that to articulate.

4. Re: French Bulldog skeleton

thats asome

5. wbd

wbd Member

UK

You could try something like a beaver or a raccoon, they are quite a nice size to articulate. If you use a 3 or 4 mm rod all the way through the backbone, you have a nice solid base for the skeleton.

6. Re: French Bulldog skeleton

thats awsome looking.

7. Jubela

Jubela Wallabies come in one flavor...Wallaby!

Tha skull is so cool! I plan on cleaning my American Bulldog's skeleton when she dies. She has the biggest underbite ever! I bet her skull will look awesome.

8. wbd

wbd Member

UK

Am. Bulldogs are great as well indeed :) Dogs are nice skeletons to articulate

9. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Ok i will have to try that thanks.

I don't think i could ever clean my pets skull it, my dog has lived with me for 9 years shes my baby i just don't think i could do it.

10. Re: French Bulldog skeleton

i bet a big wild boar skeleton would be pretty cool

11. Jubela

Jubela Wallabies come in one flavor...Wallaby!

I want something to remember her by.

12. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

I'm currently working on a wild boar skull, but it's missing the large/long canines. Someone shot and dumped it and 2 others on the side of a road in Big Cypress Swam. None of them had these teeth which bummed me out. But, I'm a beginner and using it to learn the craft.

13. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

you can buy artificials....

14. ReporterSr

Artificials? Teeth? Really? Where? I know of companies such as Bone Clones and Skulls Unlimited that sell complete skulls. Is that what you meant, slug?

15. ReporterSr

Outstanding job! Absolutely breathtaking.

I have an articulation project that I keep putting off. I've never done one before. How did you attach the bones? Glue? Wire? Both? Some other way?

16. wbd

wbd Member

UK

There is a metal rod that goes through the vertebrae bodies (drilled holes on the vertebrae and put them on the rod). All the ribs are wired to the vertebrae, the rib cartilage is a wire frame covered with apoxie sculpt.
    The leg bones are also wired... put the 2 bones together in the position that is required, look closely where they artilculate and where they touch. Drill a hole in one of the bones, put them together again, in the correct position, and then drill the other hole, in such a way that the 2 hiles are perfectly lined up. Then you can glue (epoxie glue or something like that) a piece of wire into them and attach the bones.
    I'm working on a skeleton articulation tutorial, but it takes a lot of time to get everything right..

17. ReporterSr

Your approach was pretty much what I planned to do. My problem is with the carpals, metacarpals, etc. -- tiiny bones not as large as an acorn. Is a diamond bit the way to go?

18. wbd

wbd Member

UK

I put the metacarpals together... and the carpals.. and then I drill some wires into them.
    I use drills for metal drilling, most of the time I wire with 1,25 or 1,5 mm diameter wire. For the really tiny ones I use 0,8 mm.
    The drilling part gets easier the more you do it.. I try to memorize the place to drill on the bone by little irregularities on the surface of the bone... that way you can drill them pretty accurate in the right pace.
    And for small bones, like metacarpals or toe bones, hold the bone in one hand between 2 fingers and drill between your fingers. That way if you drill all the way through, you don't drill a hole in your finger (been there.... it hurts hehe ::) )
    As for the ribcage... I first do one side of the ribcage, all wired, and then the other side, and then line them up by slightly bending the wires if needed. It's very important for the whole skeleton, that the ribcage is symmetrical, and has the right 'flow' towards the cartilage.
    And it's best to decide on the pose before you start articulating.. If you can find a picture or something in the pose you want, you can draw the bones in it, and you have an idea how the different bones are positioned against each other.

19. ReporterSr

Thanks, wbd. I appreciate the detailed reply. Drilling a finger, ouch! I cut a finger in June defleshing a croc with a Buck knife and am STILL in physical therapy trying to get it back to normal flexion. Drilling the bones promises to be a challenge for me and to make my boyfriend nervous. :)

20. wbd

wbd Member

UK

Just be very varefull if you start drilling.. The biggest issue is the drill slipping off the place you want to drill. Start by very slowly spinning the drillbit, and if you have a little hole, then speed up, and drill as deep as possible. The deeper you can drill, the longer the wire can be, and the more solid the skeleton will become.