1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for you Texas folks...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Sandy, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I am putting a skull plate back together from a Texas deer I got in. Now I do not know where it was harvested...but the rack is freaking huge with nice mass....and I measured the cape at 17" at the junction after tanning.

I think the eye to nose was fairly long 7 maybe??. I would have to look to see what I wrote down.

I am mounting it tomorrow but I was curious if your deer commonly have measurements like that for large racks???

I didn't see the deer when it came in since it was a cape and horns....It just looks odd with that small of a neck.

2. Sounds, about average for the c measurement. I do allot from the hill country in TX with that size neck. South TX has some that will be larger, it just depends on the deer.

3. I have done them in here in Texas with 16 to 23" behind the ears and the ETN measures anywhere from 6 1/4 to 7 usually.

4. I'm with bragg & TM...

Mounted and killed bucks with those measurements...

5. its not odd .. it just where they live .. down here in east tx ...... we have bigger necked deer ....21 inch neck on a 1 1/2 year deer before .. and in hill country and around san antonio they tend to to be skinnyer

6. I will try to remember to get a pic after I mount it and post it here for you guys....

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Not unusual.

8. gab

gab Active Member

avg hill country for us is 17 1/2-18 neck with a 6 1/2 nose.avg so tx 20X 6 3/4-7 nose

9. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

That is an average size. I had two 140"+ WT with 15" measurement at the ears this year.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Typical hill country deer.

11. OK I just got it mounted. Sorry for the messy shop pic!!!! I haven't cleaned in too long... :)
    I made it look at big as I possibly could. Locally our deer are very small with fairly small racks (most of them)...
    so to me this looks like our local deer body with a huge set of antlers on top. It throws the balance off to me!! LOL

[​IMG]

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Yep, looks like a Texas deer.

13. Nothing wrong with that, looks good, I think your just not used to seeing TX deer.