1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Virginia Taxidermists Association 2008 Convention

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Mac McLane, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Hey Yall, here is an update on the VTA Convention.
    There have been some changes so please review the information below and take a look at the website!

http://www.vataxidermist.com/

Thank you so very much!

Mac

Virginia Taxidermists Association
    2008 Convention and Competition
    March 21 & 22, 2008
    Schedule of Events

Friday, March 21, 2008

8:30am - 9:00am Setup competition and registration area
    9:00am - 11:00am Registration desk opens - Competition entries received
    11:00am - until Judging starts
    11:15am - 11:45pm Board of Directors Meeting
    9:30am - 11:30pm Seminar-Tommy Hall & Chris Barnhardt (African Mount)
    9:00am - 12:00pm Supply area opens
    1:00pm - 3:30pm Seminar-Mike Gillis (Mounting an Axis Deer)
    3:30pm - 4:15pm Seminar-Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries (New Bobcat Regulations)
    2:00pm - 5:00pm Supply area opens
    3:00pm - 6:00pm Registration desk opens - Competition entries received
    7:00pm - 7:30pm General Membership Meeting (PLEASE ATTEND)
    7:30pm - until Auction

Saturday, March 22, 2008

8:30am - 9:30am Registration desk opens - Competition entries received
    No competition entries received after 9:30am
    9:00am - 11:30pm Seminar-Chris Barnhardt & Tommy Hall (African Mount)
    9:00am - 11:30pm Seminar-Alan Stancill (Large Mouth Bass-Skinning & Mounting)
    10:00am - 1:00pm Supply area opens
    10:30am - 12:00pm Competition viewing -Vote for People’s Choice - Public viewing
    1:00pm - 3:00pm Seminar-Page Nethercutt (Mounting a Teal)
    1:00pm - 3:00pm Seminar- Danny Smith (Mounting a Commercial Whitetail)
    1:00pm - 3:00pm Children Seminar
    3:00pm - 5:00pm Competition Viewing - Ribbons in place
    Critique with Judges - Public Viewing
    6:30pm - until Banquet - Award Presentation and Raffle Drawing

(No mounts will be allowed to be taken until after the banquet-NO EXCEPTIONS)

Hotel Info

Holiday Inn
    1400 EAST MARKET STREET
    HARRISONBURG, VA 22801

Hotel Front Desk: 1-540-433-2521 | Hotel Fax: 1-540-434-0253

The VTA rate for the hotel
    is $79.00. Reservations MUST
    be made by March 1st.

Harrisonburg, VA : The Holiday Inn Hotel of Harrisonburg, VA is the premier full service hotel and meeting facility in the Harrisonburg area with 140 rooms and over 10,000 sq. feet in meeting space. We are located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, home of the JMU Dukes, at the intersection of I-81 and US Route 33, exit 247 A. Nearby tourist attractions include Luray Caverns, Endless Caverns, Grand Caverns, the Skyline Drive, several Civil War battlefields, including the New Market Battlefield. Outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy several local golf courses: Lakeview, The Shenvalee, Packsaddle Ridge, Heritage Oaks, The Country Club of Staunton, and the courses at Massanutten Resort. Massanutten Resort is the perfect four seasons resort in the Valley, featuring golf, snow tubing, snow boarding, skiing and the newly opened indoor/outdoor water park. We can accommodate any group up to 250 people and provide the catering for your event, wedding or conference. This hotel is committed to providing accessible facilities under the American Disabilities Act. If your accessibility needs are not met, please contact the Hotel Manager on Duty. Should you require additional information regarding accessible facilities for guests with disabilities, please call 1-800-Holiday (U.S. and Canada) or contact the hotel directly. For the hearing impaired, TDD service is available at 1-800-238-5544 within the U.S. and Canada. Book online using the form above.

Hotel Amenities
    • Americans with Disabilities ACT ADA Compliant • Air Conditioned • In Room Movies
    • Bath Tub • Coffee Maker in Room • Indoor Pool
    • Connecting Rooms • Copy Service • Rollaway Beds
    • Desk with lamp • Executive Level • Restaurant
    • FAX • Exercise Gym • Lounge
    • Hairdryers Available • Ice Machine • In Room Movies
    • High speed internet access • Iron • Laundry/Valet Services
    • Room Service • Satellite TV

Guest Room Information
    • Number of Floors: 5
    • Number of Rooms: 140
    • Check in time is 3:00pm
    • Check out time is 12:00pm
    Credit Card Guarantee Required For All Arrivals - Deposit May Be Required During Special Events
    Cancellation Policy
    Cancellation policies vary by hotel. Since a hotel can set a cancellation policy up to 30 days prior to arrival, please review rate rules prior to booking to avoid possible charges.

Thank you for attending your Convention and Competition!

March 21st through the 22nd, 2008
    The 28th Annual Virginia Taxidermists Association Convention and Competition
    Holiday Inn, Harrisonburg, VA
    Contact Doris Viola at 540-752-7263 or [email protected] or visit our website at http://www.vataxidermist.com/

More Info as it develops!

Mac McLane
    VTA Member - Board of Directors

2. Virginia Taxidermists Association Convention and Competition 2008

March 21st through the 22nd, 2008
    The 28th Annual Virginia Taxidermists Association Convention and Competition
    Holiday Inn, Harrisonburg, VA
    Contact Doris Viola at 540-752-7263 or [email protected] or visit our website at http://www.vataxidermist.com/

Last year we had some Excellent participants from VA and all around our surrounding states and look forward to and welcome the "North Carolina Contingent" this year!

More Info as it develops!

Mac McLane
    VTA Member - Board of Directors

3. Virginia Taxidermists Association would like to Thank - UPDATED!

All of those who attended this past weekend with a special Thank You to all of our out of state compeditors, judges, seminarians and vendors. Michell Burkholder, EJ, Danny Martin & lady, Tim & Christy Martin, Chris Barnhardt, Tommy Hall, Page Nethercutt and the rest of the Carolina Contingent just a to name a few.

Our vendors Jim Allred from Allred Supply, Pete Ocello and crew of Preservation Specialties, Mike Gillis and Bones from McKenzie, Tim and Connie Jordan of Jordans Bear Den, Tony from H&S Panels, Kevin from Tar heel Cape & Hide / Carolina Fur Dressing, Alan Stancil from Tru-Cast, Chris and Gill form C&G Products, Mike Nookester & Wife, Page Nethercutt, The ladies from Dixieland supply (please forgive me as I missed your name!), Mike my last minute vendor from East Coast tannery and David Patton and his guitar burning buddy from Lonestar wool and fur.

We understand that our dates this year were not convienient and appreciate your attendance,Yall are the best! To our new members Welcome & hope you enjoyed!

To our Virginia Members I appreciated having the chance to serve you as a member of the Board of Directors for the past 3 years and look forward to doing so again in the future.

Again, Many Thanks to all, hope to see you next year and Have a great Easter!!

And hey EJ! That was one impressive pig!! Great Job!! May the inspiration flow!! ;D

Mac

Man, Have you ever had one of those "Homer Simpson" moments? :eek: DHO! I missed extending thanks to some of the unsung heroes of any association! How could I forget extending our gratitude for the vendors who could not be at the show but contributed items for the success of our association? Matuska, Research Mannikans, 2nd to Nature, Van Dyke's, Bass Pro Shop's Al Holme's supply,Taylor Panel, Dixie Classic, and all the others that I may have missed, Your contributions are not taken lightly and I regret not including you in my initial post. My hat's off to you (in the shade of course so as not to blind anyone with my bald spot 8)) and may I again, on behalf of the VTA extend our Thanks for your contributions!!
    My apologies on the oversight!
    Mac

4. stuffr2

stuffr2 Member

Re: Virginia Taxidermists Association would like to Thank -

We need to be thanking you. Ya'll put on a great show full of good poeple! As vice-president of the NCTA we would be honored for all that attended the VTA show, to come visit us at our annual show this August.

5. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Bryan is dead on!...I would like to thank you guys for letting us be a part of your show!...I just need to figure out a way to switch you Virgina guys over to Bud Light! ;D

6. Re: Virginia Taxidermists Association would like to Thank -

:D Double Ditto EJ & Bryon, The VTA did an awesome job with the convention! And though I had the pleasure of meeting Mac and Audrey at PA last year this is my first trip to the VTA show. I have to say everyone was very friendly and welcoming which made the trip all the more pleasant, thanks to VTA members and board for a super nice weekend!!

And BTW Congrats EJ & Bryon - terrific hog and turkeys!!

---Michelle B

7. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

A little birdie told me that Michelle B also had a very good day at the show. I wasn't there but I heard she won her first Breakthrough Award, and some other awards. I'm very happy for you Michelle, Congrats!!! :)

8. EJ

Brian,
    Michelle had a very good day! LOL! She brought several AWESOME Pieces and almost needed a cart when she left the awards ceremony! ;D Not only is she a killer artist, she is also one heck of a nice lady to talk to! Congrats Michelle! ;D

9. Re: Virginia Taxidermists Association would like to Thank - UPDATED!

And once again EJ dominated the gamehead catagory with his super pig!!!!! wild boar mount, I think he won 32 trophies on it in Va!!!!!!!!

10. big buck 222

big buck 222 "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken S--T!"

Re: Virginia Taxidermists Association would like to Thank - UPDATED!

It was great to see everyone, Brian and all the nc guys , EJ , Michelle B It's great to be able to put a face to the name. Plus we had a lot of first time people who said they learned alot and will be back neat year. PA show last week Vta show this week man I need a weekend off I ain't as young as I used to be. ;D Mark

11. EJ

Hey Mark,
    You need to rest up! Surry is in May. Congrats on all the hardware you carried back home with you! That lifesize Bear was killer!
    I would also like to congratulate my good friend Bryan "Man of Steel" Stillwell for all of his newly acquired hardware! You can put a bird together like no one I've ever seen! I also believe that setting at the same table as you at the awards ceremony is whats keeping me so lucky!

12. Re: Virginia Taxidermists Association would like to Thank - UPDATED!

:D Thanks EJ & Mark--and same here, it was great to put a face to the name. It was really nice meeting you guys and getting a chance to talk face to face, you all are super people. Congrats again to you guys!

13. Todd R.

Todd R. Member

It was great seeing everyone again, talking with old friends and making new friends. Congratulation to all who competed and won awards ! My family and I had a Great time.
    Todd Rapalee
    Rapalee Taxidermy

14. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Any pics from the show??

15. stuffr2

stuffr2 Member

I don't know about you being the lucky one, I know how much time you put into that pig. As for me, I like to say,"A blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while." On a serious note, all that competed are winners, I know I'm taking what I learned from Mr.Neathercutt with me to Surry this May.

16. EJ

So is Mr. Neathercutt. ;D

17. stuffr2

stuffr2 Member

Are we talking about the piece he's working on, or are we referring to SPIKE?!

18. EJ

The Piece!....It's going to clean up and I told him yesterday, "I hope it does!" ...I honestly believe the spike would hurt him! ;D

19. livingtrophytaxidermy

livingtrophytaxidermy New Member

1-900-SPIKE :eek:

20. derhntr

derhntr Member

Really wanted to go this year, but being Easter weekend and the Ex. Chef of a restaurant in Norfolk it just wasn't in the cards. Would like to see some pics of the work there.
    Bill
    Open Acres Taxidermy