1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sage Grouse Air Sacks?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Matt Jones, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I'm mounting a sage grouse in a booming pose. I have read past threads that advise against trying this with a fall bird, but the customer insists on it.

I was wondering if there are any manufactured air sacks for a sage grouse? I've done some looking and haven't found any. If there aren't any on the market, I'd appreciate any info on how to make your own.

This will be the second sage grouse I've mounted...the first one was abysmal. This bird is much more mature and in better condition, so I'm hoping with some advice I can improve on the last one.

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Edit: I should have mentioned that this is how I made not super inflated air sacks in a Blue Grouse...not Sage. There are all SORTS of ways to recreate the things we see in our animals...I wanted Matt Jones, the original poster of this thread, to start thinking along those lines. I forgot to say that I was working on Blues, not Sage. :mad: Dang me.

Anyways...that's why my advice is only worth 2 pennies some times. ::) :p ;) Hey...at least I tried. This thread was over a day old with over 100 looks, but no responses when I first saw it. Hopefully I'll be more "on the ball" next time. ;)

3. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Search Wingtips # 5, its all there from Eugene

4. Lisa M

Jeremy, I've searched for the word "wingtips" in the bird taxidermy category, by any author.
    I've looked for "air sacks" by Eugene.
    I searched for the #5 in the title of any thread in the bird forum.

I can't find Wingtips #5 anywhere. Can you please give a direct link? The ones I made are acceptable, but if there's an easier way, I want to see it. Thank you. ;)

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Yowzah ... that's a lot of trouble to go through, Lisa! :)
    I have to admit, I totally cheat on sage grouse because the texture on their air sacs is so smooth that it looks just like ordinary leather to me.
    All I do is carve and sand a section of foam into the shape(s) that I want and then pin/glue some thin scraps of wet buckskin over it. It is very stretchy when wet and the buckskin will fit smoothly.
    Let it dry. The yellowish color will only need a slight bit of tinting with a greyish green in order to get it to that weird khaki color.
    Remove the real air sacs and install the fakes. There are several ways to attach them to the neck - hot glue is probably the easiest but even caulking will hold them if you can keep them in place until it sets.
    Test fit before you do it, and CHECK YOUR REFERENCE!

The air sacs are probably the easiest part of a strutting sage grouse. Gluing in about a bajillion feathers because they were killed too early is another matter entirely ...

6. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

7. Lisa M

Oh gad...that does sound easier! ;) My results were pretty...but absolutely labor intensive. Thank you Nancy!

And thank you River! You're hired! You're my Official Archive Searcher Dude. ;D ;) :p

8. Thanks for the info, it's a huge help!

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

try orange peels cut orange in half and scoop out the fruit then pack with cotton batting and shape and let dry.can be trimmed/sealed and painted filled with foam or you can make a mold of fresh orange have nice texture light weight saw them on a winning competition mount

10. Lisa M

How'd the orange peels hold up over time? I'm sure they were preserved in some manner...how? And what do they look like now? Do you know?

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

dont know what they look like now but probablly ok as they were sealed foam filled and painted and were in a glass case can ask him next time I,m at his shop,now that I think of it they may have been freeze dried not air dried

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Check out this picture! (I hope the link works)

http://flickr.com/photos/dennymont/449047610/sizes/o/

13. Lisa M

That is a GREAT picture Nancy! Thank you SO much for sharing it! Here's my attempt at recreating them...for what it's worth. I don't have a picture of the original replica's in the bird. I took some but can't find them and it's making me growl. Anyway...first one of my reference pictures, then the ones that I've been making today, to see how good the mold was & someone here asked me to make some for them.

The replicas are made from bondo, bondo with fiberglass resin, hot glue, and then one is all game & flocking that didn't go dark enough so I painted. I like the All game one best for texture, but the bondo & hot glue ones cured A LOT faster. Anyways...for what they're worth....

[​IMG]

I'm not done painting them.
    [​IMG]

P.S. I guess I should mention that these are blue grouse...not sage's...kinda forgot that didn't I? Whoops! My apologies.