1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by 30-06, Aug 4, 2008.

1. 30-06

30-06 Member

What does it mean when someone wants a European mount pearled? I have never done any euro mounts. After you do the whitening, are you supposed to cover the skull bone with something? Is that what they are referring to?

Thanks

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm ASSUMING here but I know that Michael's and several other hobby shops offer faux plating and one of the colors is "Pearl". It's an antiqued pale blue/white with a pearlescent appearance.

3. 30-06

30-06 Member

OK. Thanks George.
    I was talking to this guy the other night and he asked if I could do a euro for him...then he said...you don't need to pearl it. Of course I had to act like I knew what the he!! he was talking about. (I thought I would just do a search on taxi.net to figure it out). Anyway, it evidently is not that common of a term in the industry I have discovered. Anyone else ever hear of this?

4. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

ttt so some more of the more experienced taxidermists will see it too...hopefully...:) George...aren't you glad I quit digging with my "elder" shovel?!? ;D

All orneryness aside...what's pearling a European?

I googled it and found all sorts of things about pirate skulls & cross bones...with pearls as treasure. ::) Great. ::) Anyways...anyone know for 100% sure? Please?

5. avie

avie Member

6. maybe he meant for it to be whitened, just my 2 cents.

7. Lisa M

1st off, since he didn't ask at the time the client gave it to him, he would look kinda dumb for asking about it now. Better to ask at the start or shut up. And what do you mean "Going to a lot more work than you oughta." Did you mean "Going to get a lot more work than you ought to."? And by that do you mean that by asking what pearling means, he'll get more work than he ought to? As in, because he doesn't know what pearling is, he shouldn't be getting much work because he's unknowledgeable? I really don't understand your post Avie. Is English your second language? I'm sorry that I am not getting your meaning. Please explain.

8. 30-06

30-06 Member

Tough crowd.

Actually...I did ask the guy and he doesn't know either. He said his previous taxi had a price list option for a euro pearled or unpearled. Unpearled being much less in cost. He said he always got them done that less expensive way and was happy with that. Thats why he told me I did not need to pearl.

Evidently, the term pearling is specific to this taxi only and he is using the term to describe whitening I am assuming.

9. the only thing I can think of besides using one of the pearl painst would either be the whitening, whic I think is unlikely or sealing the skull as the final touch... Iam thinking he is meaning the sealing stage... depends on if the other taxidermist he mentioned used different methods of sealing...

10. Hoopyfrood42

Hoopyfrood42 New Member

If I had to guess maybe an extra coat or two of gloss? to give it that wet pearly look.

11. Lisa M

Avie. I am surprised. The questions I asked you were genuine. I wasn't being snotty or teasing. I didn't understand what you said because you left words out of your post! As for me being mean...you don't know me. I have helped 100's of people in my life and it has been a privilege to do so in every instance. As for me asking if English is your first language...that is an honest question! I've seen folks here that are from Portugal, Spain, Russia, all over. It just seemed like English wasn't your strong suit. If English isn't someone's primary language, they often leave words out of a sentence. I was just looking for a reason to explain the missing words. Apparently that offended you and that was not my intention.

I was NOT bashing you and it isn't my fault if you took it that way. I do hope you have a wonderful day. All my best. Lisa

Those of you who know me may be surprised that I was that gentle with Avie. Here's what it is to me. If he wants to call me stupid or a basher, that's his choice. I know what I am. I live in my own skin and I know that none of my comments were intended to be mean. They were honest questions. After snotty his response to me though, what I really want to tell him is that he should f*ck off & go away. But I held my tongue & shushed. Aren't you proud? ::) LOL Oh well...can't get along with every one all the time. :D It's all good and not worth fretting over. ;) :p

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Avie, I think that was a bit uncalled for. When I read Lisa's questions, I didn't take them as being offensive, just questions.
    No, Lisa is not a mean person, she's one of the MOST caring people on this whole dang forum, and she's far from dumb. I could say a few other things, but I'll stop here.

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Lisa you don't need to defend yourself sunshine. I swear what is up with newcomers to this site that have their panties in a wad? Is this just a reflection of society where everyone is looking for a reason to get into a fight and walking around with a chip on their shoulder. Avie, my suggestion to you (and we will let you slide on this outburst we always do because you are new here and don't know people on here) is to get to know someone before you go ripping someone's arse and grow a little bit thicker skin. Trust me if someone on here wants to bash someone there won't be any question about it, you will know. There wont be any reading between the lines. Just check out any post ByGolly has made people bash him daily and it's all straight forward he knows it , we know it, and he bashes back. It's all in good nature.

14. avie

avie Member

My apologies to Lisa, when I first read her post I thought she was being a smarta$$ but I now realize she was not.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

15. Lisa M

It's all good Avie. After rereading where I asked what you meant, I can see how it could be interpreted as snotty, but that's truly not how I meant it. I'm sorry that's how you interpreted it.

All's well. ;) This little scene in "As The Taxi-Net Turns" is now ended...y'all get going...nothing to see here...;) ;D :D

16. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Well darn, that was an uneventful ending, LOL. Just kidding, just kidding. Glad all's well and the sun shines again ;)