1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ok really dumb question

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by buckrub, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ok well i know/knew the answer to this but forgot i have a sheep skull that smells how do i take that smell out?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Put a clothespin on it's nose? It can't smell that way. :)

Sheep STINK! Try packing the horns with baking soda. I have also made a strong solution of baking soda and soaked the whole thing, horns and all.

3. ok thanks and the horns dont smell just the skull does ammonia work?

4. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

ammonia will, and febreeze.

Also, using peroxide IF you are whitening it...will take the smell out. BUT make sure it is degreased first before whitening.

But you are probably wanting to take the stink out before you sell it, and not wanting to make it too pretty???

5. actualy im not selling this one its an aoudad skull and im have show me state build me a base for it

6. when you degrease it'll take some smell out (especially if you use the lemony smelling ammonia) and whitening. I dotn get any smell when i'm done with my skulls.

7. ok thanks for the info guys

8. If it's the Aoudad you got from Johnny pull the horns off and fill them up with BORAX. Degrease the heck out the skull since it is a dead head Johnny found on the ranch it's gonna have grease baked into the bone. You may have to leave it in pure Ammonia in a covered container for a couple of weeks. Got anymore questions PM me. I had to do those blackbucks you got that way.

9. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

I've used borax to kill odors in birds that I wasn't going to get to for a long time but couldn't freeze.I sprinkled it over them, coating them well.