1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BLUE SKULL

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by WV SPORTSMAN, Aug 7, 2008.

1. WV SPORTSMAN

WV SPORTSMAN New Member

I've been cleaning skulls for about 9 months now. I've always cleaned with beetles and degreased with dawn before whitening. I've done approximately 15 skulls with no problems; however I am doing a whitetail skull now that has turned a little blue above the teeth. I've searched the archives and found that sometimes this happens when using blue dawn (which I did). What is the best way to get the blue out? I've already whitened it, but the blue is still there. Right now I have it soaking in the semi clear dawn with bleach additive. Will this work?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Awww ... can't say we didn't tell ya so. :) I did lots of skulls with the blue Dawn before I had one turn blue. It was a large bear and I was greatly annoyed. I stopped using the blue Dawn at that point. It was only one out of many .. but was one I wanted to be perfect.

Do what you're doing. Let it soak well in strong peroxide for at least a day. Let it dry completely and do it again if it still shows. After re-peroxiding the bear twice and letting it dry completely, I can't really see the blue anymore. I really do like the clear Dawn with bleach alternative. It actually has some peroxide in it already and seems to do a fine job.

Good luck with it .. and post some pictures. :)

Dale Loescher likes this.

3. I've heard that about the blue dawn..... stick with the clear or the orange(I always use orange and never had a single issue with it)

try a goood long soak in water with the clear or orange dawn let it soak a good while.....then let it dry in the sun and see if the blue tint is still there.if it is soak it some more....if not just re-whiten it.

4. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

Been meaning to switch myself this thread reminded me. To much to risk even though it slightly cheaper.

5. the best way to get the blue color out is to use the green dawn, hehe. done it to. is what worked for me is ammonia
    brian m

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

7 Plus years, thousands of skulls and use blue dawn exclusively for surface grease and still no blue skulls. Blue water shows cloudiness and clarity better than others. I always dilute it in HOT water so don't know if thats it or not.

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

I have had two blue skulls using dawn and have changed to the clear also. I'd done about 300 skulls before the blue ones and I thought the first was a fluke so continued using it until I had a second one, after that I was done with blue Dawn :)

8. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

sure as I speak I will get a blue one anyday ;D ;D

9. Wolfwoman

The odds are in your favour...lol

10. chbtaxidermy

chbtaxidermy When in Austin, do like the Liberals: Hug a Tree

I use the clear dawn with the bleach alternative..... never tried the blue dawn before. About 3 months back I tried some of the "organic", "natural", dishwashing soap, whatever the brand was.... shoulda just put the skulls into cold water for a month. Water never really got cloudy or nothing. Dawn w/bleach alternative from now on. Good luck on getting the blue out. The "wolf"s will show you the way. :)

11. Sea Wolf

[​IMG]
    I like this kid. :)

12. Wolfwoman

Heheh, me too! lol

13. Hey WW
    Did you get my note about advertising in the "Trapper & Predator Caller"??
    ORG

P.S. Shame on you for finding humor in someones' blue skulls--- ;D ;D ;D LOL

14. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

I'd never heard of blue skulls from the blue Dawn before this topic. I have used it on only a couple skills with no probjem but plan to switch.

One question about the clear Dawn with the bleach -- can it harm a skull in any way?

15. chbtaxidermy

chbtaxidermy When in Austin, do like the Liberals: Hug a Tree

ReporterSr - It doesn't actually have bleach in it..... its a bleach alternative. Like Sea Wolf stated, it has a bit of peroxide in it, which is probably the bleach alternative.... ???

I just know it works.... .and to never NEVER never use bleach!! :)

16. Sea Wolf

Not real bleach. Anything with chlorine in it is really bad. I do believe the clear Dawn with bleach alternative is indeed some type of peroxide. It doesn't seem to foam like a peroxide soak does, but it seems to do a fine job degreasing skulls.

17. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

I have a feral pig that I've been alternating between blue Dawn and a whitener. The darker areas are becoming green! Might this be an effect of the Dawn? I've now purchased some of the clear Dawn with bleach alternative and plan to switch to it and hope it helps.

18. WV SPORTSMAN

WV SPORTSMAN New Member

Thanks for all the replys. I got the blue out of the bone after soaking in CLEAR dawn and then peroxide.

19. WV SPORTSMAN

WV SPORTSMAN New Member

Thanks again!

20. ReporterSr

i just cleaned a b ig domestic boar skull, i used the blue dawn and yes i did get some green in my skull too(first time for me), but after a good peroxide and sunlight it pretty much went away. now i will have to use the clear dawn!