1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

240" reproduction-- Replica Antlers

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by 4txdrm, Aug 9, 2008.

1. 4txdrm

4txdrm Most expensive thing about quality is ignoring it.

I finally got done with this monster, I had a ton of hours in making the mold and I poured 10 copies and did a color match paint job on all of them.

There are 10 sets of reproduction antlers and the original in the picture. Can you guess where the real set of antlers are.

The original weighs 9.2 pounds and the replica weighs 10.7 but the original has a hollow skull cape and the replica has solid skull cape. All of my reproduction work is flex color and weight matched.

2. real atlers is #3. and thats my best guess and am sticking to it.

3. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

how about a link to a full resolution picture?

4. #1 headhunter

#1 headhunter New Member

They look good. You have it down pat. I am guessing # 5. I am working on a 216" 12 point now, and I agree on how much time it takes to make a mold. What did you use to cast the antlers?

5. 4txdrm

bowhuntnut I will send you a email with full resolution link. I have several pics that i am going to add to my web page and when it is added I will post that as well. Thanks

Smith Taxidermy

6. 4txdrm

Here is the link to my web page, I added a few photo's of the 240. Click on the link and click on reproduction page, then click on the album. The pics are at the bottom of the page. Thanks for viewing.

Smith Taxidermy

http://web.mac.com/taxidermy/Smith_Taxidermy_/Welcome.html

7. 4txdrm

The inside pics look more original because the flash didn't go off and make them look shiny, I just looked at that on the web page. I took the out side pics behind the shop in the shade and I can tell now that I have some flash issues, because my antlers aren't shiny. They have the natural antler shine but not a clear coat shine.

8. 4txdrm

Jwj and #1headhunter It is the forth one up from the bottom right.. # 7 In the other pics on the web page you can see more detail and you can view same pice without numbers in the way. Thanks for the guess.

Thanks

9. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Very nice! Definately some high quality repos.

11. 4txdrm

Buckrub it is #7 Thanks for the guess..

Smith Taxidermy

12. o ok and you did a nice job

13. sntaxidermy

sntaxidermy New Member

Nice job , like your work .

14. repro antlers

repro antlers New Member

I keep hearing all this talk about weight comparison with reproductions and I dont get it! Who cares if the repro weighs 8 ounces or 10 pounds as long as it looks real isnt that all that matters? I still have yet to see someone who gets a repro and specificly takes it around and says feel that it weighs the same as the original. If I'm not mistaken repros are supposed to be mounted and hung on the wall.

15. 4txdrm

The reason you keep hearing all the talk about the weight is because it is impressive. Your Quote I still have yet to see someone who gets a repro and specificly takes it around and says feel that it weighs the same as the original. The reason you can say this is because you must do a light weight Repo, if you done a heavy cast, The first thing out of peoples mouths is how realistic they are because of the weight. I promise you if I had the same rack made out of both materials lightweight and heavyweight you would have to be blind if you said you didn't like the look of the heavy one better. Yes without lifting the repo. I use the heavy weight stuff because I get a realistic finish, they don't look like plastic, they have the exact look of bone and will never yellow. Yes I said Never. It is impossible for my material to change color, I have done every test possible. I could care less if they are heavy or not if I could get the same look from the lightweight material. I think of reproduction, I think exact duplicate, My sells pitch is not the weight of my antlers it is the fact that it wont discolor. Nothing like putting a 4 hours paint job on a rack and 6 months latter it don't look nothing like it did in the beginning. Yes I am talking from experience. Who told you that repo's are supposed to be mounted and hung on the wall? I guess my big question is have you ever held one of my hand Painted reproductions? Hope I have been some help explaining the reason I do what I do. Thanks

16. 4txdrm

Thank You very much SnTaxidermy

Todd Smith

17. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Awesome work!!!! Thats some kinda talent!!!!

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Active Member

I couldnt find the reproduction page, is there a trick? Sure would love to see them...

19. 4txdrm

Bill I am redoing my website so it will be a little while before I have my reproduction link back up and going. Thanks

20. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Great work Todd!