1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4th Largemouth Critique

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Taxidermydude017, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Finished this one up yesterday. This is my fourth skin mounted Largemouth. I got the belly a little too yellow for my liking . I know the tail looks funny, but the family friend that I did this mount for said he wanted the real tail. The fin rays are twisted funny (the pond this fish was caught from supposedly has some septic or something running into it so that might account for the wierd tail)

2. jonny

jonny New Member

if you freeze the tail all scrunched up you will get that too the only way to fix it Ive found is to cut it back and rebuild it. try knocking the yellow back with some off white, the fish looks good if the customer is happy and your happy thats what matters the most.

3. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Taxidermydude,
    I agree the yellow is a little too bright plus it appears to be too much of a distinction between the edge of the yellow and the white belly. You might try and feather both colors lightly to more of an overlapping looking appearance.

As far as the tail, I have mounted fish with that exact same type of tail, one of which I caught myself and it came out of the water that way. It's just a peculiarity of some bass and I wouldn't try and change it. It's the way God made it so I wouldn't mess with it ::) ;D, Just my opinion.

4. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Just my opinion I'm not relay a fish taxidermist but you need to put a light shade of of white with a light coat of white pearl and silver pearl on the lip area.

5. Looks like the bottom lip is a little too extended for my taste.

6. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Here's what I see or would do IMO:

---Head area needs paint, white, white pearl, like coon said. Jaw and mouth area bascially. A little heavy on the paint overall. Needs blending and a little pink blush in gill area, pelvic fins, etc.

---paint too heavy and a little too dark below the middle marking line. It hides the vermiculations.

---the transition line from yellow to white on the belly is too harsh. Try to blend or fog in the yellow so the transition line is softer.

---lower jaw positioned out a little far

---eye positon looks flat to body

---looks like top of head needs more shrinkage rebuilding.

---I prefer the pelvic fins to be closer to the body.

---anatomy a little off in the belly but not bad.

---That caudal fin is a little weird but I would have trimmed/shaped it a little more and maybe touch a dremel to the ends very lightly.

---upper markings are non-existent or too light to see

---gold tipping would do wonders on that fish also

OVERALL, I think you did a FINE job but you did say you wanted a critique and I do want to help you get better. I'm sure you'll get some other tips from the experts on here and I look forward to seeing your next one............